MARCH BREAK IN DOWNTOWN HALIFAX
March Break 2021 may be different, but that doesn't mean it has to be boring! Get out and explore Downtown Halifax. There are many family-friendly attractions, restaurants, shops, and more, to keep your days full and your kids busy.
FREE ON-STREET PARKING (ZONE B) IN DOWNTOWN HALIFAX
Enjoy free on-street parking in ZONE B for March Break from March 15 - 19, 2021.
During this time, parking sessions via HotSpot or pay stations within ZONE B ONLY will be free up to a maximum of four hours, as per the current time cap.
Note: you MUST STILL REGISTER for parking sessions via HotSpot or a pay station to avoid receiving a ticket, from March 15 to March 19.
AND RIDE THE ALDERNEY/HALIFAX FERRY FOR FREE THIS MARCH BREAK!
The Downtown Dartmouth Business Commission and Downtown Halifax have collaborated on offering folks of all ages the opportunity to have a March Break adventure.
Starting Monday, March 15 until Saturday, March 20, the Alderney/Halifax ferry service will be FREE between 11 a.m and 2 p.m.
First 4 hrs FREE March Break Parking on the Waterfront
March Break families will enjoy their first 4 hours of parking FREE when they park within Develop Nova Scotia’s parking lots until March 19th at:
Foundation Lot (North or South)
More info here.
MARCH BREAK ACTIVITIES
Here are 25 KID-APPROVED activities to do with your family over March Break:
- Take a ferry ride across the harbour (and back!).
- Visit the JoyLab exhibit at the Discovery Centre.
- Check out the Maud Lewis Gallery at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia.
- Learn about Halifax's connection to the Titanic at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
- Dine out at a kid-friendly restaurant (see below for suggestions).
- Grab a hot chocolate from a local café (try a different one each day!).
- Explore the grounds at the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site.
- Visit the Halifax Seaport area and check out the train in front of the Canadian Musuem of Immigration at Pier 21*
- Take a selfie with the Halifax Town Clock.
- Stroll the Halifax Harbourwalk, a 4.4 km walk along the harbourfront.
- Visit the Submarine Playground on the waterfront and take a selfie with the Wave.
- Check out the winter-themed lights in Peace and Friendship Park by The Westin Nova Scotian (including the twinkly 26-foot-tall tree).
- Fill up on candy at Freak Lunchbox.
- Take a Self-Guided Art Tour of Downtown Halifax.
- Book a private Ghost Tour at the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site.
- Play some board games at the Board Room Game Café.
- Visit the Train Station Playground in Peace and Friendship Park by the Halifax Train Station.
- Try your luck at an escape room – either Captured Escape Rooms or Trapped Halifax.
- Grill your own dinner at Gangnam Korean BBQ or Sake Restaurant & Bar.
- Wander through the shops at the Historic Properties.
- Try one of Cabin Coffee’s famous cinnamon buns.
- Take the Halifax Waterfront Art & Mural Tour.
- Book a staycation at a hotel with a pool (see below for suggestions).
- Have breakfast for dinner at the Elle's Bistro on Barrington Street.
- Book family pedicures at THE TEN SPOT® on South Street (they offer Kiddie Pedis for $30).
*The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 is closed for renovations until April 2021.
** Make sure to follow Public Health protocols at all times, including wearing a mask, keeping a safe distance from others, and sanitizing/washing your hands when possible. More information on current restrictions here.
For more Kid-Approved Activities, visit Discover Halifax.
FAMILY-FRIENDLY PLACES TO EAT, SHOP & STAY
|Places to Eat||Places to Shop||Places to Stay|
MARCH BREAK DOWNTOWN GIVEAWAY - Giveaway is closed
Tuesday, March 2 - Thursday, March 4, 2021
Each prize package includes annual family passes/memberships to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, the Discovery Centre, and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic; a $100 gift card to a Downtown Halifax restaurant; and a $200 gift card to a Downtown Halifax hotel.
Contest starts at 10:00 am (AST) on Tuesday, March 2, 2021, and ends at 4:00 pm (AST) on Thursday, March 4, 2021. Valid entries will be entered to win a one (1) of two (2) March Break Downtown prize packages. Entrants/households cannot win more than one prize package.
*Must be 19 and over and a resident of Nova Scotia, Canada, to be eligible to win. A random draw will take place by 4:30 pm (AST) on Thursday, March 4, 2021 to choose the winnes. One (1) winner will be chosen per platform (one (1) for Facebook, and one (1) for Instagram). Winners will be contacted by DM and have until Friday, March 5, 2021, at 5:00 pm (AST) to accept the prize or another winner will be drawn. The winners must pick up their prize package in person from DHBC's office at 1546 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS. Prize packages will not be delivered or mailed to the winners. The prize package must be accepted as is. Gift cards cannot be exchanged or returned for cash. Winners will be responsible for activiating the annual family passes/memberships. This giveaway is not affiliated with Facebook or Instagram.